The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Advising and Registration Information for Chemical Engineering (ChE) Majors

The details of how registration advising is going to be handled was emailed to Chemical Engineering students on Thursday, March 12 at 12:30 PM EST, with the subject line, “Registration Advising Update *MAJOR CHANGES*”. It is extremely important that you read and follow all instructions.

If you have further questions, you may email Tami at:


  1. Admission to a BS degree program in engineering requires a grade of C or better in English 112, Math 131, Math 132, Physics 151, Chem 111 or Physics 152, a first semester engineering course (Engin 100, 110, 111, 112, 113, or 114) and a 2nd semester engineering intro course satisfying the major requirement (ChE 120, CEE 121, ECE 122, or MIE 124).  Students must also have a cumulative and most recent Fall or Spring Semester GPA of 2.0 or higher.  *Chem 111 may be satisfied by taking the Honors equivalents:  Chem 121H.
  2. A student must maintain a cumulative GPA of C (2.0) in the core Chemical Engineering courses to remain in good standing in the major. To graduate with a degree in Chemical Engineering, students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in the core Chemical Engineering program.
  3. The department will remove students from Chemical Engineering courses if the students do not have the appropriate course prerequisites or if the student's Chemical Engineering cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. It is the student's responsibility to make sure they have passed the appropriate prerequisites for each course. (Individual faculty that teach each course during the semester can make exceptions to this policy.)

Follow UMass Chemical Engineering: